Horizons Young Professionals for Equality (HYPE) Grants
- Provide general operating support, administered at the organization’s choosing, to organizations that demonstrate impact and address a community-identified need;
- Facilitate an equitable application process, particularly for LGBTQ+ organizations with limited fundraising capacity.
What we Value
Our objective is simple: to support Bay Area LGBTQ+ leaders and facilitate positive change that strengthens the LGBTQ+ community.
- Diversity and Inclusion: We draw strength from our shared experience while honoring the differences among us. In our grantmaking, we are committed to engaging and reflecting the full richness of all segments of the LGBTQ+ community.
- Innovation and Risk-taking: As a small giving circle of emerging queer leaders, we have the flexibility to take risks in how and who we fund. We are excited about innovative projects that challenge the status quo.
- Community and Connection: HYPE is all about building a cohesive community of emerging philanthropic leaders connected to the organizations we support. We want to foster authentic relationships for HYPE and our grantees that enable us to learn together and from each other. We strive to support grantees with resources rather than impose requirements.
- Justice and Equity: HYPE emerged out of a shared commitment to justice, not just for members of the LGBTQ+ community, but for all groups that are underrepresented and underserved by philanthropy. The participation of all members of our community, at all levels of authority and influence, is necessary to our mission and our success.
Application Process and Award
The deadline for proposals is 5pm Friday, May 24, 2019. Please submit your applications using our online application. To help keep this process on track, we cannot accept late submissions or incomplete proposals.
After applications are received and screened for eligibility, HYPE’s Community Engagement and Grants (CEG) Committee will review all submissions and select a group of finalists based on the criteria described here. HYPE’s donor community will then have the opportunity to vote on these finalists.
You will be notified by August 15, 2019* if you have been selected for a HYPE Grant. The grant period will run from September 2019 – August 2020**. In September 2019, we will introduce our new grantees and the HYPE community at our annual Grantee Celebration event.
HYPE’s grantmaking capacity is determined by our fundraising success each year—the more we raise, the more we can grant! In 2019-20, we anticipate granting a minimum of $20,000 to at least three grantees. The typical HYPE grant usually around $5,000.
*Notification deadline deferred from July 9.
**Grant period moved deferred from August 2019 – July 2020.
Eligibility & Funding Considerations
To be eligible for a 2019-20 HYPE grant, your organization must:
- Have 501(c)(3) IRS certification or provide documentation of current fiscal sponsorship.
- Have a nondiscrimination policy on file with Horizons Foundation or be able to provide documentation of a Board-approved nondiscrimination policy upon request.
- Be an LGBTQ+ primary organization or program, meaning that your mission includes the LGBTQ+ population as the primary focus of your work AND your staff/board represents the LGBTQ+ community.
- Organizations that are led by, and work on behalf of, underserved segments of
the LGBTQ+ community (including ethnicity, race, age, gender, gender identity, and physical and mental ability)
- We tend to fund primarily direct service organizations that serve one or more of the following counties: Alameda, Contra Costa, Marin, Napa, San Francisco, San Mateo, Santa Clara, Solano, and Sonoma.
- We are only considering funding organizations with budgets smaller than $250,000.
- Submit a complete application by 5pm May 24, 2019.
We have done our best to streamline this grant application while still gathering sufficient information for HYPE to review your application.
*If you already applied for a Horizons Foundation Community Issues grant, you have the option to submit that application as is and send it to HYPE.grants [at] gmail [dot] com. There is no need for you to fill out a separate HYPE grant application unless you would like to.
If you have questions about eligibility, please email HYPE.grants [at] gmail [dot] com.